Changing the Address on your Driver License
Your driver's license is an important legal document. So if your address changes, your license needs to change. Changing your address on your driver's license can be a hassle, but we've made it much easier by pooling all the information you need together in one place. Click "Continue" below to get started.
Driver's license change of address in Washington DC
How to change your address on your driver's license in Washington DC
Keeping your address up to date when you move is very important just visit your local DMV and update information.
Bring the following original documents to update your DMV records:
- Your current driver's license, registration, or both
- Proof of your new address
If you want the DMV to give you a new license showing your updated address you will pay a fee of $7
Changing Your Name
Once you change your name the first step is to notify the Social Security Administration. The SSA will issue you a fresh Social Security card with your new name on it (but with the original number).
Once you have done that, bring the following original documents to a DMV service location:
- Your current driver's license or ID card
- Updated Social Security card
Also bring one of the following:
- Divorce decree
- Certified marriage certificate
- Official U.S. court name change order
- Green card
- Birth certificate (for a name correction)
- Passport (for a name correction)