Getting your ID Card
Getting a new identification card can be a hassle, but before you head out to your local DMV, make sure you are well-prepared! Our staff has researched the process for getting an ID card for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Click "Continue" below to get started.
South Dakota ID Cards
If you do not drive but want or need a form of identification, you must visit your local DMV, pay $8 (either cash or check), and provide the following documentation:
Proof of Identity, Date of Birth, and Lawful Status
- Certified U.S. birth certificate
- Valid U.S Passport
- Certificate of citizenship
- Certificate of naturalization
Note: If you are not a citizen you will need:
- Valid permanent resident card
- Valid employment authorization document
- Foreign passport with valid U.S. visa
- Arrival/Departure record (I-94)
Proof of Social Security Number
- Social security card
- W-2 form
- SSA 1099 form
- Non-SSA 1099 form
- Pay stub (with your name and social security number included)
If you need to renew your ID card because it has been lost, stolen, or damaged beyond repair, you will need to provide proof of identity and pay a fee of $8.
If you need to replace your ID card, you will need to provide proof of identity and a social security number and pay the $8 fee.