South Dakota Learner's Permit
How to get your South Dakota Learners permit
If you are 14 years of age or older you will be eligible to apply for a South Dakota learner's permit. Along with at least being 14 you must follow some other guidelines before being issues a South Dakota Learner's permit.
Rules for being eligible to apply for a South Dakota learner's permit:
- be a first-time driver without a prior license, or
- be a new resident of South Dakota who has been licensed in another state, but your driver's license has been expired for longer than six months
How to obtain an original learners permit:
- If you are under 18 years of age,you will have to bring your parent or legal guardian along with you to sign for you.
Bring you South Dakota learner's permit application to the DMV along with:
- Acceptable proof of identity, age and address (one primary document and another document either primary or secondary).
- Your Social Security card.
- The fee of $8 for the instruction permit payable by cash or check (credit cards are not accepted).
- You are required to pass a vision exam and written test in order to be issued a learner's permit.
Keep in mind there are a few restrictions you must follow when driving with a South Dakota learner's permit:
- When driving between 6 am and 10 pm you must be accompanied by a licensed driver age of 18 or older who has held a license for at least a year. This person must sit beside you. When driving between 10 pm and 6 am your parent or guardian must sit beside you in the vehicle.
At Drivers-Licenses.org, we've done all the research on driver's education for you. Check out the links below to find everything you need to know about driver's education training and requirements.