Getting your New Driver License
Getting a new license can be a hassle, but before you head out to your local DMV, make sure you are well-prepared! Our staff has researched the driver's license process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Click "Continue" below to get started.
New driver's license in South Dakota
How to get a new driver's license in South Dakota
You can go into any local driver's exam place and apply for a new driver's license. Make sure to get a copy of the South Dakota driver's manual and study it well.
You must be at least 14 years old to apply for your South Dakota driver's license. If you are younger than 18 make sure to have your parent or legal guardian with you because you will need there consent. The series of exams you must pass are as followed, a eye screening exam, a written knowledge exam, and a driving exam.
Make sure to bring the following to the DMV:
- A completely filled out driver's license application form.
- Social security number.
- Certified US birth certificate.
- A valid US passport or a DPS approved tribal identification card.
- Provide proof of name, age and address.
- Provide proof of legal presence in the US.