Reinstate Suspended License in Puerto Rico
Suspended Puerto Rico Driver?s License
Your license may be suspended for a variety of reasons. Some situations are clear, while others are subtle, with some drivers unaware that their license is suspended at all. In this guide, you?ll find information on the steps necessary to reinstate your Puerto Rico driver?s license, no matter what your violation was.
If your license has been taken away on a temporary basis, ranging from a few days to two years, then your license has been suspended, and will be reinstated once the suspension ends and the fee is paid.
Licenses are suspended or revoked for a number of reasons, which may include:
- Refusing a blood alcohol test if pulled over for while driving
- Being charged with a DUI conviction more than once
- Accumulating 25 points or more on your license
Revoked Driver License:
- Your driver license will be cancelled
- You will not be subject to renewal or restoration, except in the cases and in the manner established by law or applicable regulations
- If a court has suspended or revoked your license, notification will be sent with the terms of suspension or revocation, along with the personal data of the convicted person
- Secretary of the Chamber will notify the Secretary within 10 days of your sentence.
- Contact your driver license service to see if you qualify to restore your license - http://www.dtop.gov.pr/servicios/det_content.asp?cn_id=184
The Secretary of Puerto Rico will notify you if your license has been suspended. You will receive a letter with the following information:
- Period of time your driver license will be suspended
- How many points you have accumulated
- Breakdown of offenses or less serious offenses incurred with relation to the amount points
- Right to appeal the decision of the Secretary with the Application by the request for administrative hearing
- You will need to go into your local Driver Service Center (CESCO) and turn in your license (you may be eligible to send it certified mail ? contact your local DTOP); you must submit your driver license within 20 days of receipt of the notification
- If you do not agree with the notification, you will need to submit a letter to show cause of which your license should not be suspended
- Once your license is turned in, your suspension term will begin
- CESCO will present a form, which will indicate the date of the delivery and the termination period.
- You can apply for an official ID card when you turn in your driver license.
If your license expires within the suspension period, you will need to request a renewal driver license. You can arrange for issuance or renewal, but shall be retained by the computerized system until you have complied with the suspension period. You will need to see the Point System section .
- Pay fines
- Follow renewal driver license process
- Complete application
Reinstate your driver license:
Each case is different; you will need to call 787-294-2424 to find out the steps you will need to take in order to reinstate your driver license.
If you accumulate 25 points or more by the traffic law violation in the following time period, your license can be suspended:
- 25 points or more in 1 year ? Suspended for 1 year
- 25 points or more 1 to 2 years ? Suspended for 6 months
- 25 points or more in 2 to 3 years ? Suspended for 1 month
When you first get your driver license, your driving history is at zero (0), if you are issued a ticket for a moving violation, you begin to accumulate points.
Action to be taken if your license has been suspended with the following points:
- 12-15 points ? Letter of exhortation to which you drive with safety so that you do not expose your life or those of others, warning you that your license may be suspended if it reaches 25 points.
- 16-24 points ? Letter to appear at orientation to the driver service (CESCO) nearest where an educator and/or evaluator in security in transit will guide the person on the Law No. 22, the importance to comply with the law and the consequences that will arrive if you accumulate 25 points.
- 25 or more ? Certified letter from the Secretary notifying you of the intention to suspend your driver license and how many points you have accumulated.
Point System Requirements:
- You can check your points online: http://www.dtop.gov.pr/serviciosenlinea/
- Register with the online system - http://www.dtop.gov.pr/serviciosenlinea/
- Driver license number
- Last four digits of your Social Security Number
- Valid e-mail address
- Telephone number
- Driver license number
- Identifying number (received when registered)
Actions taken if you have been drinking and driving:
- First-time fee: No less than $300 or more than $500 (Refund if applicable). Your driver license will be suspended for a period no longer than 30 days.
- Second-time fee: No less than $500 or more than $750 and jail time for 15 to 30 days, and penalty of restitution, if applicable. Your driver license will be suspended for a period of six months.
- Third-time fee: $700 to $1,000 and imprisonment not less than 60 days and no more than six months and penalty of restitution, if applicable. Your driver license will be suspended for two years.
Minor Driver?s License Recertification
It is illegal for anyone under 18 years old to drive or operate a motor vehicle containing alcohol in his or her blood, as it is determined by the concentration of alcohol in chemical analysis in his or her blood or breath. Penalty will be applied.
Below are links where you may find more information. Copy and paste these links into your browser's address bar: