Renewing your Driver License
If your driver's license is about to expire, you need to act now. Renewing your license before it's too late can save you a lot of time and money. Our staff has researched the driver's license renewal process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Click "Continue" below to get started..
Driver's License Renewal in California
How to renew your California driver's license
It is illegal to drive around with an expired license that's why it's so important to remember to renew your license ahead of time to avoid getting a ticket or risking suspension. The renewal process is different in each state. We made it pretty easy by doing the research and providing you with all the necessary information you need to renew your California driver's license as quickly as possible.
To renew your California driver's license in person make sure to bring the following with you:
- A filled in form DL 44 or DL44C in original, available at all locations or can be mailed on request by calling (800) 777-0133.
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required along with proof of a true name.
- Appropriate renewal fee, payable by cash, check or ATM card (credit cards are not accepted).
Requirements you must meet before renewing your California driver's license:
- You must give a thumb print
- re-take your picture, and vision test
- If your renewal notice states that you must take a written test, then you must take the traffic laws and signs test as well.
To renew your California driver's license online go to http://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/dlrbi/dl_top2.htm. You will only be allowed to renew online if you receive a renewal notice letting you know in the mail.
You will need the following to renew online:
- A Renewal Identification Number as stated on the renewal notice.
- A verified Social Security number on file with the DMV.
- The same address as on the expired license.
- Have one of the acceptable credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) handy or an e-check.
Requirements to renew your California driver's license by mail:
- Your license must not be expiring in the next 60 days.
- You must be under the age of 70 upon the expiration date.
- You must have no suspension or driving probation on your license.
- You must not have violated a written order to appear in court in the last two years.
- You should not have more than two consecutive five-year extensions on your license processed via mail.
- You should not possess a driver's license from another state.
To renew your California driver's license by mail:
- Form DL 410 FQ
- A check with the appropriate renewal fee.
Make sure to mail everything to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
ATTN: Renewal By Mail Unit
PO Box 942890
Sacramento, CA 94290-0001.